Friday, September 18, 2009

Yooper Accent?

For those of you who have been around Kristen for any length of time, you know she has a different accent or pronunciation for certain words--especially those beginning with r's. Occasionally we will repeat what she says like she says it back to her. She usually says, "That's not what I said!" And then we say it correctly and she says, "That's what I said!" She gets pretty defensive about it and we aren't making fun of her. We just think it is cute!

Anyways, yesterday she was making a "coloring and activity book" to play with and this was one of the pages. She asked me to spell a couple of things, but sounded out others. This is the result!


Mach the Wiming Words

And this is how she talks! It is wiming (not rhyming) with her speech, but when repeated back to her she knows which one is right! Strange. Aaron and I have chalked it up to her being born in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and thus inheriting the "Yooper Accent!"

By the way, I am not making fun of her! I love how she says these words and I know she will be saying them correctly soon enough and I will miss it! So I documented it here to someday reminisce over!